Independent Catholic News logo Welcome Visitor
Saturday, December 10, 2016
Pope cancels visit to Philippines
Comment Email Print
 Pope John Paul II has cancelled plans for a visit to the Philippines in January for 'an unspecified reason', a church official said yesterday. "The Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Sodano, has informed the Archbishop of Manila, Cardinal Jaime Sin about the sad news," said Sin's spokesman, Mgr Socrates Villages. The Pope had been planning to attend the World Meeting of Families, a three-yearly international religious conference focusing on family values. The event will open in Manila next January 22 - the first time it has ever been hosted in Asia. Despite concerns that the 82-year-old pontiff would not be able to make it because of health problems, church officials already had begun preparations by holding prayer rallies and meetings with security officials. During the Pope's 1995 Manila visit, Philippine security officials foiled a plot by a group of foreign Muslim extremists to assassinate him. Crowds of more than five million Filipinos welcomed the Pope during that visit. source: cinjub
Share:  Bookmark and Share
Tags: None


Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: