Yemen: Negotiations continue for release of kidnapped priest


Two months after a rebel group burst into a care home in Aden, killing four Missionaries of Charity and 12 staff, there is still no certain news as to the whereabouts of the Salesian priest Father Tom Uzhunnalil, who is believed to have been kidnapped during the incident.

Bishop Paul Hinder OFM Cap, Apostolic Vicar of Southern Arabia told Fides news service: "The last words, which are quite reassuring, I received indirectly about ten days ago. I was told that Father Tom is alive, and that his return to freedom could be imminent. But since then nothing has happened. We hope and pray for him."

During Holy Week, rumors started circulating that the priest had been killed. On Tuesday, 29 March, the Salesian Congregation, in an official statement, urged everyone not to give credence to false news on Father Tom's fate.

Meanwhile, the Mother Teresa nuns in Yemen continue to work in their homes and in Sana'a Hodeyda, at the service of those who suffer most, in a country still torn by conflict between government forces and the Huthi rebels.

Source: Fides

Share this story