Staffordshire: new church consecrated


St Christopher’s RC Church in Codsall

St Christopher’s RC Church in Codsall

St Christopher’s RC Church in Codsall, Staffordshire, was consecrated  in a ceremony celebrated by Bishop David McGough, Auxiliary Bishop of Birmingham, on 17 October 2010.

The new church was completed in 2000 and the formal consecration, was able to take place as it is now entirely free from debt.

The new larger church replaced the original one built in 1934 on the same site. The parish began in 1931 when Codsall was a tiny village and Mass was originally celebrated in a local teashop.

Parish Priest, Father Dominic Chukka, said:  “The consecration was a wonderful occasion and celebration, with parishioners, friends, and fellow clergy attending. The whole project of planning, building, and fundraising for the new church has been a tremendous parish community effort, and it is particularly fitting to be able to have the consecration on the 10th anniversary of its completion.”

More than £500,000 was raised by the parish through a large variety of fundraising activities, and also through generous bequests.

The Parish has received a parchment scroll from the Holy Father Pope Benedict bestowing an Apostolic blessing on the parishioners which was read to the congregation by the Bishop, and will be displayed in the church.

The weeks leading up to the consecration saw a number of celebratory events take place in the church: a Flower Festival; a Concert; and a Retreat conducted by the Franciscan Friars of Renewal.

Share this story