Holy Land: Family of Oscar-winning director attacked by 'settlers'

The Oscar-winning Palestinian director of 'No Other Land' says his family has been attacked again by illegal Israeli settlers, leaving his brother hospitalised and four members of his family arrested by the Israeli army.
Hamdan Ballal says the violence began on Sunday when Israeli settlers attacked his family's home in the village of Susya in the occupied West Bank. Ballal says the settlers' raid was led by the same man who previously attacked him last March, injuring his head and stomach, after Ballal's film made global headlines for winning an Academy Award. Ballal says his brother called police, only to have solders from the Israeli army raid the home, attacking everyone inside.
The violence came hours after Israel's government approved a plan to allow land registration in the West Bank for the first time since 1967, paving the way for Israel to annex more Palestinian lands. Israeli human rights groups warn the land registration process will facilitate the dispossession and displacement of Palestinians in violation of international law.
On 24 March 2025, Ballal was assaulted by Israeli settlers who attacked his home in Susya. According to reports, 10-20 masked settlers, armed with sticks, stones, and in some cases firearms and knives, targeted Ballal and activists from the Center for Jewish Nonviolence. The assailants, accompanied by unidentified IDF soldiers, entered Susya and proceeded directly to Ballal's residence, vandalizing property, smashing windows, and slashing vehicle tires. The IDF soldiers assisted the settlers in assaulting Ballal, striking him in the head with the butts of their rifles and threatening to kill him. Witnesses stated that although Israeli police arrived at the scene, they did not intervene.
The attack occurred as villagers were breaking their daily Ramadan fast. Ballal sustained head injuries and was receiving treatment in an ambulance when IDF soldiers forcibly removed, blindfolded, and detained him at a military base. Israeli authorities confirmed his detention but did not announce any immediate charges. In an official statement regarding the arrest, the IDF alleged that "terrorists began hurling rocks at the security forces," which led to the detention of "three Palestinians suspected of hurling rocks at them along with one Israeli" who participated in "mutual rock-hurling between Palestinians and Israelis".
After the attack, Ballal's co-director Yuval Abraham posted on X that there had been "no sign" of Ballal since the incident. On 25 March 2025, after spending a night detained at an IDF base-where, according to his lawyer, he received minimal medical care-Ballal was released by Israeli police. He stated that Israeli soldiers had beaten him again during his detention at the base.
Following his detention, the European Film Academy called for Ballal's release, while the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences-having recently awarded Ballal an Oscar-remained silent despite calls from its members. On 27 March 2025, the Academy issued a statement reaffirming its commitment to artistic freedom, declaring, "We condemn the harming or suppression of artists for their work or their viewpoints," though it did not mention Ballal by name. The following day, over 500 Academy members signed an open letter criticizing the organization for failing to publicly support Ballal after his arrest. On 29 March 2025, the Academy apologized for not acknowledging Ballal or his film by name and to all artists who felt unsupported by its previous statement. It also condemned "violence of this kind anywhere in the world," adding, "We abhor the suppression of free speech under any circumstances."
LINK
Watch No Other Land: www.channel4.com/programmes/no-other-land/on-demand/77943-001


















