Pope sends condolences after shooting at US Catholic school

Photo by Pascal Müller on Unsplash
Source: Vatican Media, USCCB, ICN
Pope Leo XIV has expressed his profound sorrow over the murder of two children and the injuring of 17 others at the Annunciation Catholic school in the US city of Minneapolis, Minnesota, yesterday.
In a message sent to Archbishop Bernard Hebda of Minneapolis, the Pope expressed his "heartfelt condolences and the assurance of spiritual closeness to all those affected by this terrible tragedy, especially the families now grieving the loss of a child."
The telegram, signed by Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Secretary of State, says the Pope commends "the souls of the deceased children to the love of Almighty God" and "prays for the wounded as well as the first responders, medical personnel and clergy who are caring for them and their loved ones.
As a "pledge of peace, fortitude and consolation in the Lord Jesus," Pope Leo imparted his Apostolic Blessing upon "the Annunciation Catholic School Community, the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis and the people of the greater twin cities metropolitan area."
A man opened fire on worshippers gathered at the Annunciation Catholic Church in Minneapolis, the largest city of the state of Minnesota in the United States.
The attack occurred at 8.30 in the morning local time during a back-to-school Mass. The complex also houses a school attended by children from preschool to middle school.
Only several hours after the shooting did police report that at least two children, aged 8 and 10, were killed, and another 17 were injured, including 14 children, with seven in serious condition.
The shooter, 23 year-old Robin Westman, fired dozens of shots through the windows of the school chapel where children were attending Mass. He finally shot and killed himself. Westman had three legally-owned weapons, a rifle, a shotgun and a pistol.
The motive behind the attack remains unknown.
Archbishop William Lori, vice-president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, said in a statement: "As a Church, we are following the tragic news from Annunciation School in Minneapolis with heartbreaking sadness. Whenever one part of the Body of Christ is wounded, we feel the pain as if it were our very own children. Let us all beg the Lord for the protection and healing of the entire Annunciation family."
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, in a post on X, said: "I've been briefed on a shooting at Annunciation Catholic School and will continue to provide updates as we get more information. The BCA and State Patrol are on scene. I'm praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence."
Speaking on Truth Social media, President Donald Trump said: "I have been fully briefed on the tragic shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota...the FBI quickly responded and they are on the scene. The White House will continue to monitor this terrible situation. Please join me in praying for everyone involved!"
In the 12 hours preceding the shooting at Annunciation School in southwest Minneapolis, there had been 12 other shootings in the city, resulting in eight people injured and three killed, according to the local police department. "The level of gun violence in the city in recent hours is deeply disturbing," the department commented.
Archbishop Bernard Hebda of Minneapolis released a statement on Wednesday afternoon expressing his profound gratitude "for the many promises of prayers that have been coming in from the Holy Father, Pope Leo, and from so many from all around the globe, all praying for the families of Annunciation Parish and School and for all who were impacted by this morning's senseless violence."
He asked for the continued prayers of all of the priests and faithful the Archdiocese, and all men and women of good will, so that "the healing that only God can bring will be poured out on all those who were present at this morning's Mass and particularly for the affected families who are only now beginning to comprehend the trauma they sustained. We lift up the souls of those who lost their lives to our loving God through the intercession of Our Lady, Queen of Peace."
The Archbishop added: "My heart is broken as I think about students, teachers, clergy and parishioners and the horror they witnessed in a Church, a place where we should feel safe. That today's tragedy occurred only a day after the tragic shooting near Christo Rey High School increases the sadness about the pain and anger that is present in our communities.
"We need an end to gun violence. Our community is rightfully outraged at such horrific acts of violence perpetrated against the vulnerable and innocent. They are far too commonplace. While we need to commit to working to prevent the recurrence of such tragedies, we also need to remind ourselves that we have a God of peace and of love, and that it is his love that we will need most as we strive to embrace those who are hurting so deeply... Our Lady, Queen of Sorrows, pray for us."