Independent Catholic News logo Welcome Visitor
Friday, October 28, 2016
Polish archbishop resigns
Comment Email Print
 Archbishop Juliusz Paetz of Poznan has resigned, following allegations in a leading newspaper that he had sexually harassed priests and seminarians. Rzeczpospolita published a number of testimonies from priests and unnamed students complaining about his behaviour last month. On 23 February the Vatican said investigations had begun. Archbishop Paetz, 67, announced his retirement at the end of the Chrism Mass in Poznan Cathedral. Protesting his innocence, he said: "My generous behaviour and spontaneity were abused my accusers. My words, gestures and acts have been distorted." The archbishop said: "There has been no specific accusation, no interrogation by the Vatican." Auxiliary Bishop Stanislaw Gadecki, 52, of the Archdiocese of Gniezno, has been appointed as the archbishop's successor.
Share:  Bookmark and Share
Tags: None

Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: