Independent Catholic News logo Welcome Visitor
Saturday, December 3, 2016
Australian church accuses refugee service of negligence
Comment Email Print
 A new report, issued by the Australian Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace, has warned the government that it could be sued for negligence for failing to protect young asylum seekers in detention camps. Documenting 264 incidents in an eight month period last year, the report says hundreds of detainees, many of them children, have deliberately injured or starved themselves in the camps, because they are so desperate. It said: 'any responsible organisation would not keep children in such dangerous conditions.' The Australian government responded by saying that 'only a small proportion' of more than 9,000 people held in camps for illegal immigrants during that period had harmed themselves. About 1,200 asylum seekers are currently in detention awaiting deportation or an appeal for a failed refugee claim.
Share:  Bookmark and Share
Tags: None


Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: