Independent Catholic News logo Welcome Visitor
Friday, October 28, 2016
Six Scottish priests receive death threats
Comment Email Print
 Six Catholic priests in Scotland have received death threats, a church spokesman confirmed yesterday. Fr Sean Boylan, of St Michael's Church, Linlithgow, West Lothian; Mgr Phillip Kerr, of St Francis Xavier's, Falkirk, two other npriests and one canon, based at St Martin of Tours in Tranent, St James's Church in St Andrews and St Bride's in Cowdenbeath all received similar threats in the last ten days. At the weekend Cardinal Keith O'Brien said a sixth priest had been threatened in the St Andrews and Edinburgh archdiocese . Cardinal O'Brien, who led the Easter Sunday service at St Mary's in Edinburgh, said: "I am aware that six priests from the archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh have received the same threatening letter in recent days. "In each case the matter is in the hands of the police. It is deplorable that anyone - priests, ministers, or others should be intimidated as they go about their daily work. "I am confident that all the police forces involved are handling this matter with the utmost seriousness and I hope their investigations will reach a speedy conclusion. "In the meantime I would urge all priests in the archdiocese to remain vigilant and to be mindful of their own safety." Police and church officials said there was nothing to link the priests targeted in the campaign, which they believe is being waged by one individual.
Share:  Bookmark and Share
Tags: None

Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: