Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Church in Harrow on the Hill is seeking to appointment a well-qualified, enthusiastic, innovative and creative Pastoral Assistant who has the vision and enthusiasm to work with the parish as they continue to develop their mission.
Job profile: Parish Pastoral Assistant
Location: Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury in Harrow
Reporting to: Parish Priest
Job Reference: 163-HARRW
Assisting with the overall strategic planning and its delivery in the parish by:
1. Assisting the Parish Priest with the overall administration of the parish on a day to day basis
2. To work with and further the professional development of catechists
3. To further the organisation and delivery of adult formation for the parish.
4. To support and further develop the outreach work of the 'Welcome Centre'.
1. To work with the Parish Priest and others in the planning of relevant parish programmes for children, young people, and adults.
2. To organise and participate in meetings with parents of young candidates for the sacraments.
3. To work closely with other catechists in the teaching of programmes for sacramental preparation or religious education.
4. To carry out ongoing evaluation with the catechetical team including feedback at catechist's evaluation meetings.
5. To take responsibility for the planning and running of retreats, away days or days of reflection
- for adults
- for young people
6. To attend and assist in planning liturgies which form an important part of any relevant programmes.
7. To facilitate and support the work of the 'Welcome Centre' in collaboration with St John's Church Harrow.
8. To work closely with the Safeguarding Officer to ensure that the proper procedures are followed at all times in accordance with the Diocesan Policy for the Protection of Children and vulnerable adults.
9. To ensure continuing training for Readers of the Word and Eucharistic Ministers.
10. To attend Parish Council meetings and give an update on progress and developments within the parish.
To attend regular deanery meetings.
11. Any other general duties as requested by the Parish Priest.
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £25,000 - £30,000 depending on experience and qualifications
Hours of work: 35 per week as arranged with the Parish Priest on a flexible basis. (2 days a week off to be arranged with the Parish Priest according to the needs of the parish)
Place of work: The Parish Office
Dress code: Smart and professional as befits the Pastoral Ministry position.
1. To have an appropriate theological/scriptural qualification.
2. To be committed to the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the ethos of the parish.
3. To be recently experienced in Pastoral Ministry, a strong team player with excellent communication 4. and ICT skills.
4. To be self-motivated, well organised and able to work independently with initiative.
5. To be able to work a flexible week in both time and attitude.
6. To enjoy working with people of all ages and abilities in a relaxed, open and welcoming manner.
7. Willingness to undertake training and to attend suitable in-service training when needed.
8. The ability to work collaboratively within the parish and to be part of deanery/diocesan appropriate networks.
9. To be fully committed to the ministry entered upon.
10. To be able to work in a joyful manner and possess a good sense of humour.
11. The ability to maintain confidentiality.
For further information and an online application form see: https://jobs.rcdow.org.uk/full-time-pastoral-assistant/
We Need Your Support
ICN aims to provide speedy and accurate news coverage of all subjects of interest to Catholics and the wider Christian community. As our audience increases - so do our costs. We need your help to continue this work.
Please support our journalism by donating today.Donate