Independent Catholic News logo Welcome Visitor
Friday, October 21, 2016
Zimbabwe: police evict homeless from churches
Comment Email Print
 Baton-wielding police in full anti-riot gear descended on a number of churches in Bulawayo last night and into the early hours of this morning to forcibly remove several hundred homeless victims of Operation Murambatsvina sheltering there. The victims were awakened from sleep and bundled with their few belongings onto the back of police trucks believed to be headed for the holding camp recently established at Balu Estate just north of Bulawayo. The first church cleared by police was Agape Church in the western suburbs which had been offering shelter to over 200 people. The police arrived there soon after 10pm, wearing full anti-riot gear. Witnesses were appalled at the brutal way in which men, women and children were forcibly removed. The pastor of Agape Church, Pastor Lucky Moyo, was visibly angered and distressed by the action. The police continued the removal operation through the night, arriving at the City Presbyterian Church at 4am today and the City Baptist Church some hours later. Their objective was to remove all the remaining internally displaced victims to a holding centre where they are less visible and access to them can be more easily controlled. This move coincides with a recent tightening up of security at the Balu Estate. On Tuesday a Bulawayo pastor who was visiting his parishioners at the holding centre was interrupted in the course of a service of worship and ejected from the site. The authorities administering the camp even refused him permission to return and collect his Bible. The holding centre is now out of bounds to clergy of all churches. Fr Barnabas Nqindi, the Rector of the (Anglican) Church of the Ascension, was one of those who witnessed the police action at Agape Church last night. He described it as "cruel, nasty unbelievable". It was, he said "heart rending" to see the innocent victims of the present social upheaval being carted off to face further misery. A few hours later Fr Barnabas himself was arrested and taken to the Ross Camp police centre where he was subjected to hostile interrogation and verbal abuse by police details, some of whom were so young they could hardly have been out of their teens. It was noticeable that these young interrogators wore ZRP uniforms but did not display any numbers or other identification. A number of other pastors tried to intervene on behalf of Fr Barnabas but they were chased away. Fr Barnabas was released from police custody at about 4am and told to report back at the police station at 9am today. Apart from the human rights abuses involved in these forcible removals, there are fears for the well-being of those now held at the Balu Estate Centre. The Red Cross had provided temporary accommodation in the form of 100 tents, but this latest influx will take the number of refugees to something in excess of 1,100, for whom the facilities are quite inadequate. The refusal of access to the Church and the strict control of those entering and leaving the site are also matters of grave concern. Another local pastor interviewed during this latest outrage commented: "It is utterly barbaric. If this isn't a crime against humanity, then I don't know what is. It is high time the UN (United Nations) intervened to stop these atrocities." Source: Sokwanele
Share:  Bookmark and Share
Tags: None

Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: