Independent Catholic News logo Welcome Visitor
Sunday, December 4, 2016
Birmingham: abuse victim receives £330,000
Comment Email Print
¬†The Archdiocese of Birmingham is to pay £330,000 to a former altar boy who was sexually abused by a priest for eight years. The Archdiocese settled the action with Simon Grey of Leicester, who is now 38, days before it was due to be heard in court. A diocesan spokesman said the archdiocese was pleased that a settlement had been reached with Mr Grey. He said: "We do not wish to add anything else at the present time." Lawyers acting for the victim said the out-of-court settlement was believed to be the highest amount paid in connection with an individual abuse case involving a UK priest. The settlement was reached just days before the father-of-three was to due to sue the Archdiocese in the High Court, for failing to act on claims that assistant parish priest Christopher Clonan posed a danger to children. Mr Grey, who was brought up in Coventry, was abused while attending the city's Christ The King Church, where Clonan served for 20 years. He said he was relieved the case was over. He added: "This case has not just been about compensation, it's also about all the other children who have suffered at the hands of that priest." Clonan fled abroad when the accusations became public in 1992 and was reported to have died of natural causes in Australia in 1998.
Share:  Bookmark and Share
Tags: None


Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: