Independent Catholic News logo Welcome Visitor
Saturday, December 3, 2016
Manchester: faith groups welcome scrapping of super-casino plans
Comment Email Print
¬†Manchester-based charity Church Action on Poverty has expressed delight at the Government's decision to finally scrap the Manchester super-casino plan as "a victory for common sense which will be welcomed by many people within the city". Niall Cooper, national co-ordinator of Church Action on Poverty, said: "Many Mancunians today will be breathing a huge sigh of relief at the scrapping of the plans for the super-casino. Manchester City Council had massively over-hyped the economic benefits and level of public support for plan to locate the casino in East Manchester ≠ one of the UK's poorest neighbourhoods. "Many families across the city are already struggling to make ends meet, and the super-casino would have tipped significant numbers over the edge into crippling and unsustainable debt. There must be better ways of bringing jobs and regeneration to Manchester than this." Faith groups across Manchester had previously expressed strong opposition to the casino plan. In March last year, Church Action on Poverty and Faith Network for Manchester attacked the Casino Advisory Panel's decision to locate the UK's first super-casino in Manchester as "a threat to worsen the city's already poor record on debt and child poverty." Rev Daniel Burton, chair of Faith Network, said at the time: "We are concerned that the people of Manchester are to be used in a huge social experiment to test the effect of a super-casino on a community. Locating the super-casino in East Manchester in particular will draw in local people already living in debt and compound their problems."
Share:  Bookmark and Share
Tags: None


Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: